The Census helps determine funding for Black Hawk County’s K-12 school programs, including Title grants for remedial reading, professional development opportunities, extra staff to lower K-3 class sizes, summer programs, and special education funding towards a program that helps graduating special needs students to find employment. Our Black Hawk County schools also depend upon federal reimbursement for food service meals so they can offer breakfast, lunch, and summer meals to all students in need, at no cost. We rely on federal funding to keep our schools safe and drug-free.

At the college level, the University of Northern Iowa, Hawkeye Community College, and Allen College rely on federal funds from programs like TRiO, GEAR UP and Educational Opportunity Centers to support low income, first generation, and military-connected students, as well as students with disabilities, and students who need to complete a secondary credential.

Need-based student aid is another area where our local college institutions depend on Census data. For example, the University of Northern Iowa regularly seeks federal funds–dictated by Census numbers–for the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant program. This program prepares students to teach high-demand subject areas in high-need schools. UNI, which now ranks 8th among public universities in the number of TEACH Grant recipients, wants to remain a leader in TEACH preparation. (For more information, see UNI’s Federal Priorities document.)

If our Black Hawk County’s population is not counted correctly, our K-12 schools and university programs will miss out on funding for these intensive assistance programs, which go above and beyond regular education and significantly help students in need.

Here is a list of federal Department of Education programs our educational organizations depend upon to ensure we are giving Black Hawk County residents the best education possible:

Federal Pell Grant Program

Grants to Local Educational Agencies

Special Education Grants to States

Vocational Rehabilitation State Grants

Improving Teacher Quality State Grants

Career and Technical Education -Basic Grants to States

Adult Education -Basic Grants to States

Special Education Grants for Infants and Families

English Language Acquisition Grants

Special Education Preschool Grants

Rural Education

Independent Living State Grants

Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities State Grants

Supported Employment Services for Individuals with Significant Disabilities

Rural Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault, and Stalking Assistance

Program of Protection and Advocacy of Individual Rights

Rehabilitation Services Client Assistance Program

Click here for a complete list of federal programs informed by Census counts.

Translate »